EMU STREET CARPARK
A striking new public car park has been built by Spantech in the heart of Longreach.
Designed by Architect Chris Pritchett, the contemporary car-park serves as a modern piece of transport infrastructure while hinting strongly at Longreach’s pioneering past. Inspired by the settler’s wagon, Chris used the wagon wheel as the central theme of the design.
“Four lightweight and quite delicate structural wheels support the structure, and the associated roof covering fly effortlessly over the parking area” Chris said.
“The Spantech Longreach (800) Profile allows a minimal structural approach to create a delightfully enclosed and lofty area, uncluttered by the usual structural posts and beams expected of a covered car-park.”
Shaded parking areas are at a premium in Longreach and this building will be well received by the public and tourists alike. Night-time lighting and adequate power outlets also allow for night markets or other events to be held in this area.
“This is a truly delightful place to park your vehicle!” Chris says.
- It is the only undercover car park in Longreach
- Over 50% of the construction budget was used to hire local contractors
- The carpark has space for 73 cars + 4 motorbikes
- The roof is made from the Spantech “Longreach” (800)profile
- This is the first major project to use the profile, hence the profile has been named in honor of the town
- Maximum span is 17.2m
- Maximum cantilever is 3.0m
- The Spantech Longreach (800)profile is only 1mm thick
- The roof was manufactured and installed in just 5 days on a very tight site